► SAN FRANCISCO
Contact: Charlotte Reimann (mail[at]charlotte-reimann.de)
Charlotte Reimann from Germany is on a publishing roadtrip through the Bay Area. She takes the opportunity and organizes the first #pubnpub in San Francisco. We are happy to announce Melissa Manlove, children’s book editor at Chronicle Books, as the speaker:
“An Editor Walks into a Bar: Understanding the building blocks of humor, and why we should take humor seriously”.
has been with Chronicle for 10 years. Her acquisitions tend to be all ages in nonfiction; ages 0-8 for fiction. When acquiring, she looks for fresh takes on familiar topics as well as the new and unusual. An effective approach and strong, graceful writing are important to her. She has 16 years of children’s bookselling experience.
is a series of meet-up for people from all over the publishing industry. It’s a great opportunity to meet other professionals, to learn, to network, and to have fun. Pub’n’Pub events are regularly held in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, started by Leander Wattig in 2011. This is the first event in the US.
- 5:30 p.m. Doors open, enjoy a glass of wine or a beer while discovering new and old books at the Adobe Bookshop.
- 6:00 p.m. Welcome and short introduction by Charlotte Reimann, Project Manager at Kerber Verlag, Germany. Short round of introduction where everybody answers the question: “Who are you and what’s your job in the publishing industry?
- 6:15 p.m. Talk of Melissa Manlove,Editor at Chronicle Books
- 6:45 p.m. Follow-up discussion round the talk
- 7:15 p.m. General socializing – open end
- #pubnpub is a community effort
- #pubnpub is casual and sociable; firm commitments to come are not necessary; everybody pays for their own drinks
- Drinking during the talk and discussion is absolutely fine – #pubnpub is very relaxed
- Our goal is to create an atmosphere which makes it easy for everybody to get to know (better) other participants from all over the publishing industry